Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Get My Hands In Some Dirt" Syndrome

I know I'm not the only one who is excited by this just-warm-enough-to-get-my-hands-in-some-dirt weather!

I moved my sad orange bell pepper into his permanent home for the season, a self-watering container made out of icing buckets from the local grocery store. Doesn't he look sad?


Hopefully he'll perk up soon. The weather is probably still too unpredictable to have him outside permanently, but he's too much of a monster to fit in the makeshift poly tunnel anymore, and it's colder inside than it is outside most of the time, so outside he will stay.

I also got the first tomatoes out in their permanent homes, self-watering containers made from Home Depot buckets. (This was before I learned that I could get buckets for free. Live and learn.) They're stylish, aren't they? Bonny Best on the right, and an unknown on the left. The wind was blowing pretty hard today, they aren't leaning like that "just because". Guess I should get to work figuring out how I'm planning to stake all of these things this year!


Finally, happiness that Spring REALLY is here. The first strawberry blossom of the season!


These strawberry plants are in a self-watering container (of the Rubbermaid variety) that they were grown in last year. I let them overwinter, and they've come back like gangbusters. Hopefully by the end of this year, I'll give them a permanent home in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment